Adam

As quiet as it was kept, I writhed in agony while I felt your eyes on me like acid.

A tremendous anxiety that incubated within me only grew as you drew open the drapes.

The view of the setting sun served as a bittersweet reminder

that our happiest days together

would soon come to an end.


Orange hues painted the sky just as Michelangelo depicted the divine breath of life.

You must have found this breathtaking as light adorned your color-shifting eyes, 

but I only found this melancholic desperation taking hold of my shoulders and shaking me at my very core. An ache took prominence in my chest, bringing me to the realization that it takes courage to find beauty in what enables devastation.


The parting of your lips ignited a wildfire in my mind, but I could not hear a word you said.

At that moment, I felt the very fibers of my being combust for a momentary fervor.

Our passion that kept me warm beside you had turned into a heated fantasy

that seared into my skin like a branding iron named "farewell".


Prometheus abandoned a flame in my heart so violent that Poseidon sent tsunamis to put it out.

A lethal turmoil dragged me deep into the coastal gyre,

and I bore smoke in my lungs each time my head breached the surface.

The world waltzed betwixt floods and flames, unraveling into a dance I never wanted to orchestrate.


Whirling as oil to water, that dance had become a catastrophic cyclone that stole smiles along the way. I strove to stare at you with calamity in these eyes you once loved to explore.

I was unable to accept the sight of our tragedy unfolding as you persisted to speak

and the roaring flames ascended higher as you begged me to turn my gaze toward you.


Our bodies collided as crashing stars, and I could not look away from the nexus unfolding.

I drew open the drapes of my face and you wiped my tears away,

though I wished you’d never know of the hurt I harbored.


The love in your opalescent gaze served as a tender reminder

that our happiest days together were an oath to keep in my fingers

when I could no longer feel your hands.


I could not find the courage to appreciate this pain,

even if I found the fortitude to accept it when you held me tightly under that waning light. You allowed me to wait out the storm of floods and flames in the shelter of your ephemeral embrace,

and I knew that when I returned home, beside you is where I would wish to remain.

Comments

Popular Posts